There are times when you are no longer happy with your current username on a social media platform and would rather prefer a new one. Snapchat, like other popular messaging apps, offers a way to change your name. However, what you can change is your Snapchat display name and not the username you set when creating the account. If you are looking for a way to change your Snapchat username, read on to find out how to do that.
Change Your Snapchat Username (2022)
Citing security reasons, Snapchat doesn’t allow you to change your username. You can, however, change your display name that shows up on your profile and is visible to your friends and other Snapchat users. Having said that, if you’re entirely sure that you should change your Snapchat username, we have detailed what you can do in the section below.
Snapchat Display Name vs Username
Snapchat username highlighted
Before we detail the steps to change your Snapchat display name and username, let’s discuss the difference between the two in brief. Your display name is your Snapchat profile name, and that’s what users see in the conversation window. It’s not only possible for you to change your own display name, but others can also change your display name on their end.
As for your Snapchat username, you pick a unique one when you first create an account. But now, if you are wondering, is there a way to change your Snapchat username? Well, we have answered your query in detail in the section below, so read on to learn more.
How to Change Snapchat Display Name (Android and iOS)
1. Open Snapchat and tap your Bitmoji icon at the top-left corner. From the profile page, tap the Settings icon at the top-right corner.
2. Under “My Account” settings, tap “Name” to change your display name. Although you might be tempted to tap on the Username field present below in Snapchat settings, nothing happens when you do that, and you cannot change it here.
3. All you have to do now is enter a new Snapchat display name and press the green “Save” button.
4. After saving the new display name, it will immediately show up on your Snapchat profile, as you can see in the image below:
How to Change Snapchat Username (Android and iOS)
Unfortunately, the only viable option to truly change your Snapchat username is to delete your Snapchat account and create a new one. You can check the linked guide for instructions to delete your Snapchat account. While the process to create a new account isn’t complicated, the caveat of this approach is that you can’t transfer your data to the new account, and you will have to start afresh instead. With that said, here are the steps to create a new Snapchat account.
1. Delete your current Snapchat account by following the instructions in the guide linked above. Then, click on the “Sign Up” button from the home screen. On the next page, enter your first and last name, and tap the “Sign Up & Accept” button.
2. After entering your name, you need to add your birthday details. You can use the included date picker to specify your birthday and tap on “Continue” to proceed further.
3. Now, enter a new username and set a password. As mentioned above, you can’t change your Snapchat username later, and it would be a good idea to choose a username that you won’t regret later.
4. Enter your email address to complete the signup process. You also have the option to use your phone number and authenticate with OTP instead. And that’s it. You have successfully learned the workaround to change your Snapchat username.
Change Your Name in Snapchat Easily
While it’s disappointing that you can’t change your username in Snapchat, most users are likely to be happy with the option to change the display name. If you are sure about your decision to change your Snapchat username, you can only do so by creating a new account. While you are at it, do not forget to take a look at our guide on how to recover your Snapchat account in case you lose access to an old account. If you have any other queries, feel free to share them in the comments section below.