In case you’re caught with a crummy person profile folder title on Home windows 11, there are methods to alter it to your liking.
If you create a brand new person account in Home windows 11, the working system (OS) routinely creates a brand new person profile folder in C:UsersUsername. Nonetheless, this default person profile folder title will not be at all times what you need.
Home windows, by default, will use the primary 5 characters of your person account title because the profile folder title. In case you don’t just like the person profile folder title, you’ll be able to change it utilizing a registry hack. Right here we present you find out how to change the title of the person profile folder in Home windows 11.
Create a New Administrator Person Account
To alter your present person profile title, you might want to log into a distinct administrator account. You can’t modify an present person account profile path from the identical account.
In case you don’t have one other administrator account, observe these steps to create a brand new administrator person account.
To create a brand new administrator account:
- Press Win + I to open Settings.
- Open the Accounts tab within the left pane.
- Click on on Household & different customers in the precise pane.
- Click on on Add account below Different customers. This feature is helpful if you wish to create a neighborhood person account with out Microsoft Account.
- Subsequent, click on on I don’t have this particular person’s sign-in info.
- Click on on Add a person and not using a Microsoft account.
- Kind a reputation for the person account. Go away the password subject empty and click on Subsequent.
- Click on on the brand new person account and click on Change account kind.
- Click on the drop-down for Account kind and choose Administrator.
- Click on OK to avoid wasting the adjustments.
Now you’ll be able to log in together with your new administrator account. To do that, click on on Begin, click on on the person profile title, and choose Signal out. Now you sign up with the brand new administrator account.
Change the Person Profile Folder Identify Utilizing the Registry Editor
You’ll be able to modify the registry entries related together with your person account to alter the person profile folder title in Home windows 11. This course of entails modifying your registry entries, so we suggest you to create a restore level. You need to use the restore level to revive your PC if one thing goes through the course of.
To alter person profile folder title:
- Signal out of the person account for which need to change the person profile title. Then, login with a distinct administrator account.
- Subsequent, open the Command Immediate. To do that, press Win + R, kind cmd and click on OK.
- Within the Command Immediate window, kind the next command to view SID (Safety Identifier) for all person accounts:
wmic useraccount get title,SID
- Right here, observe the SID for the person account you need to change the person profile folder title. On this case, the SID for the username tashr is S-1-5-21-200486166-247335145-1769094253-1001.
- Subsequent, press Win + R, kind regedit and click on OK to open Registry Editor.
- Within the Registry Editor, navigate to the next location:
- Contained in the ProfileList key, find and click on on the important thing title similar to the SID you made a observe of earlier.
- Within the right-pane, right-click on ProfileImagePath worth and choose Modify.
- Enter a reputation you need for the profile folder and click on OK.
- Shut the Registry Editor and Command Immediate window if open.
- Subsequent, press Win + E to open File Explorer and navigate to C:Customers.
- Choose your person profile and press F2 prime rename. Enter a brand new title to your person profile (it should match the person title entered within the Registry Editor).
- Click on away after which click on Proceed to avoid wasting the adjustments.
You might generally encounter the “You’ll be able to’t carry out this motion” error when renaming the folder. This error typically happens in case you swap to a distinct administrator account with out signing out from the first person account. Alternatively, restart your PC and repeat the steps to rename the person profile folder with out the error.
Subsequent, sign off out of your present account and sign up to the person account whose title is modified. Open File Explorer and navigate to C:Customers, and it is best to be capable to use the earlier profile with the brand new pathname.
Rename the Default Person Profile Folder in Home windows 11
When you can rename the person account in Home windows 11 utilizing the Management Panel, doing so is not going to change the person profile folder title. For this, you might want to modify the ProfileImagePath worth within the Registry Editor with a distinct administrator account. As soon as achieved, you’ll be able to take away the brand new administrator person account to declutter your logon display.
Discover ways to take away extra person accounts in Home windows 11.
About The Writer