Desire a particular file kind to have a particular icon to go along with it? Here is the right way to set that up on Home windows 11 and 10.
Icons make completely different software program packages, folders, and file codecs visually identifiable. You may change icons for shortcuts and folders in Home windows 11. Nonetheless, Home windows doesn’t embody any built-in choices to customise icons for various file codecs, resembling PDF, PNG, JPG, MP3, TXT, and many others.
Nonetheless, you may nonetheless change icons for file codecs with some third-party software program. Sorts and Default Applications Editor are two desktop apps that embody choices for altering file format icons in Home windows. Beneath we take a look at how one can change file format icons with these software program packages.
The right way to Change Icons for File Codecs With Sorts
Sorts is a freeware (extra particularly, donationware) desktop app that runs on all Home windows platforms courting again to XP. It’s a really light-weight program that hardly takes up any drive space for storing (66 KB). You may change icons with Sorts like this.
- Open the Types page on Softpedia.
- Click on the Obtain Now button, and choose the Softpedia Mirror (US) choice.
- Press the Win + E hotkey, and open the folder that features the Sorts ZIP in File Explorer.
- Double-click the compressed Sorts ZIP archive.
- Click on Extract all on File Explorer’s command bar.
- Choose the Present extracted information choice, and press the Extract button.
- Double-click Sorts.Setup.exe to open the window within the snapshot immediately beneath.
- Choose the Desktop shortcut checkbox.
- Click on the … button to vary the set up listing in the event you want.
- Press the Set up button.
- Then double-click the Sorts desktop shortcut.
- Double-click a file format for which to vary the icon. You could find a particular format by getting into the file extension within the search field.
- Choose the Icon tab on the Sorts window.
- Select an alternate icon from the System32 folder. Alternatively, you may click on the Choose Icon file button to decide on one in a distinct folder.
If Sorts doesn’t embody the format you need to change the icon for, click on the + button. Sort the format within the textual content field. Then click on the Add choice, and choose the added format within the window.
The right way to Change Icons for File Codecs With Default Applications Editor
Default Applications Editor is one other freely obtainable program you may change file format icons with. It’s appropriate with Home windows platforms from XP as much as 11. Default Applications Editor can be a conveyable app you may add to USB sticks. That is the right way to change file format icons with that software program.
- Open the Default Programs Editor webpage in a browser.
- Click on Obtain Now to save lots of the app’s ZIP archive.
- Double-click the Default Applications Editor ZIP archive in File Explorer.
- Extract the ZIP for Default Applications Editor as outlined in steps 5 and 6 of the earlier technique.
- Then double-click Default Applications Editor.exe within the extracted folder to open the software program.
- Click on File Sort Settings within the Default Program Editor’s window.
- Choose the Icon choice.
- Select a file format to customise the icon for within the record, and press the Subsequent button.
- Click on Browse to open a Change Icon window.
- You may choose a distinct icon within the default System32 folder. Or click on Browse to pick out one in a distinct folder.
- Click on OK on the Change Icon window.
- Press the Save Icon button.
Default Applications Editor additionally packs in different choices. You may choose Context Menu to customise context menu choices for file codecs. Choose Autoplay Settings to configure autoplay decisions for varied media sorts. The Default Applications Setting choice allows you to modify the file extensions related to software program packages.
The place to Get New Icons for File Codecs
If you wish to discover completely different icons for file codecs past the System32 folder, try IconArchive.com. That web site features a multitude of icons you may obtain and add to file codecs with Sorts or Default Applications Editor. Enter a key phrase in IconArchive’s search field to search out icons on that web site. Choose a file, and click on ICO to obtain it.
Open Sorts or Default Applications Editor to vary a file format’s icon. Click on Choose Icon file in Sorts or Browse in Default Applications Editor to pick out the folder you saved the icon in. Then you may choose the downloaded icon from there.
Add Higher Icons to File Codecs With Sorts or Default Applications Editor
It’s fast and easy to vary file format icons with each Default Applications Editor and Sorts. As Default Applications Editor packs in additional intensive choices, some customers could want that software program. Whichever you select to do it with will allow you to jazz up information in Home windows 11 with extra interesting icons from IconArchive and different sources. You may even design your personal icons for file codecs with artwork and image-editing software program if most well-liked.
Are the default Home windows icons underwhelming? Here is the right way to create customized desktop icons with Rainmeter at no cost.
About The Creator