Conserving your disk defragmented is an effective strategy to preserve it working optimally. This is the way to create a context menu shortcut for the defragmenter device.
Home windows 11 features a built-in Defragment and Optimize Drives utility (previously referred to as Disk Defragmenter) for drive optimization. This device defrags your arduous drive by reorganizing fragmented information on it. In consequence, it enhances information retrieval effectivity in your PC.
As such, it’s value defragging your PC’s main storage drive every so often. You possibly can add various disk defragmenter shortcuts to the drive and desktop context menus in Home windows 11. Such shortcuts will prevent from having to seek for the defrag device. That is how one can arrange handy defragment context menu choices in two alternative ways.
File Explorer’s This PC part features a C: drive icon you may click on to delve into the native disk. That drive icon’s context menu is the proper place for a Defragment choice, however guess what: it doesn’t have one! Nonetheless, you may nonetheless add a defrag shortcut to the Native Disk icon’s context menu by modifying the registry like this.
- Click on the search device’s magnifying glass taskbar icon.
- Kind Registry Editor within the textual content field, and click on the Run as administrator choice for its search outcome.
- Navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDriveshell key throughout the Registry Editor.
- Proper-click shell on the left of the Registry Editor to pick New > Key.
- Enter the identify runas for the brand new key.
- Choose the runas key, and double-click its (Default) string.
- Enter Defragment within the Edit String’s textual content field, and click on the OK button.
- Proper-click runas and choose the New and Key context menu choices.
- Kind command to be the brand new key’s title.
- Click on the brand new command key to pick it.
- Double-click (Default) on the fitting aspect of the Registry Editor.
- Enter defrag.exe /u /v %1 within the Edit String’s window Knowledge worth field like within the screenshot immediately under.
- Choose OK to exit the Edit String window, and shut the Registry Editor.
Now it’s time to check out the brand new Defragment shortcut. Open File Explorer, and click on This PC throughout the left navigation pane. Proper-click Native Drive and choose the Defragment context menu shortcut proven immediately under. Choosing that choice will defrag the drive and open a basic command-line window that shows the outcomes.
This registry tweak additionally provides a Defragment choice to the basic context menu, which implies it really works for Home windows 10. To open the basic context menu for the drive icon in Home windows 11 File Explorer, choose Native Disk and press the Shift + F10 hotkey. Then you may choose Defragment from the basic menu.
Home windows 11’s desktop context menu is one other place we are able to add a shortcut for the Defragment and Optimize Drives device to. By including a shortcut there, you’ll be capable to entry the defrag device immediately out of your desktop. That is how one can arrange a desktop context menu shortcut that opens the graphical (GUI) Optimize Drives window.
- Open the Registry Editor (as administrator).
- Open the ComputerHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryBackgroundshell key.
- Proper-click shell to open its context menu and choose New > Key.
- Give the brand new key a Disk Defragmenter title.
- Proper-click Disk Defragmenter to pick the New and Key choices.
- Enter command to be the subkey’s title.
- Choose the brand new command subkey, and double-click the (Default) string for it.
- Enter “C:WindowsSystem32dfrgui.exe” throughout the Edit String window’s textual content field as within the screenshot immediately under.
- Press the OK button, and shut the Registry Editor.
To pick out the brand new Disk Defragmenter shortcut, open the basic context menu by right-clicking the Home windows 11 desktop and deciding on Present extra choices. Clicking the brand new Disk Defragmenter choice there’ll open the Optimize Drives window under. There you may choose your C: drive and click on Optimize to defrag it.
These context menu shortcuts will provide you with extra direct entry to the Defragment and Optimize Drives device in Home windows 11. The primary methodology provides a right-click menu choice to Explorer’s Native Disk icon that defrags your PC’s C: drive when chosen.
Should you choose a shortcut that simply opens the Optimize Drives window, with out defragging something, add that choice to the desktop context menu as outlined for the second methodology.
Pc storage has come a good distance, and has an interesting historical past.
About The Writer