In case you’ve been experiencing the “There is something wrong with the proxy server” error in Chrome, here’s how you can fix it in just four steps.
The internet is immensely valuable to us now more than ever. And there are very few things more frustrating than being unable to access the internet, especially when there’s an error behind it.
Here, we’ll show you how to easily fix the “There Is Something Wrong With the Proxy Server” error in Chrome if it’s come up to bother you.
What Is a Proxy?
A proxy server is a system or router that serves as a middleman or intermediary between you and the internet (the website you visit).
Proxy servers improve security, save bandwidth, and reduce network traffic. Proxies allow you (your IP address) to communicate with the IP addresses of the websites you visit.
How to Fix the “No Internet There Is Something Wrong With the Proxy Server” Error in Chrome
If you are unable to access the internet, and you see this error: “There is no Internet connection. There is something wrong with the proxy server, or the address is incorrect. ERR_PROXY_CONNECTION_FAILED”.
1. Check if You Have a Stable Internet Connection
Many times, the problem lies with the internet connection itself and not the proxy. Make sure your device is connected to stable internet.
- If your device is connected to Wi-Fi, check if it’s on or if the network connection is bad. Try putting your Wi-Fi router somewhere high and away from clutter.
- Reset your internet connection by toggling the Airplane mode icon. You can find the Airplane Mode icon on the right side of the taskbar. Click the Wi-Fi button and a menu would pop up. Click on the Airplane Mode icon twice to turn it off and on.
- Check other browsers like Safari, Firefox, Edge, etc. If these browsers connect to the internet normally, go to step four.
2. Restore Your Proxy Server to Its Default Settings
- Go to the Control Panel. You can do this by searching for ‘control panel’ in the search box or pressing Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box and then typing in Control and clicking Enter.
- Click on Internet Options. This will open a menu called Internet Properties. Then, change the menu from General to Connections by clicking on the connections tab.
- Click on LAN (Local Area Network) Settings.
- Uncheck the box that reads Use a proxy server for your LAN. After that, check the box that says Automatically Detect Settings.
- Save your changes by clicking OK, and then restart your device.
This is the most common fix to the “There Is Something Wrong With the Proxy Server” error. If changing your proxy settings doesn’t work, proceed to the next step.
3. Disabling Your Proxy Settings Through the Registry
The Windows registry is a hierarchical database used to manage and store low-level settings for applications in the Windows OS.
This next step is more technical than the previous one, but not to worry, it is easy to execute. Make sure you follow the instructions very carefully, as an incorrect move could lead to another series of problems.
- Press Win + R to open the Run dialog box, type regedit, and click OK.
- Then, a User Account Control Tab will open with the question, ‘Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?‘ Click Yes to proceed.
- Then, back up the database of the registry by clicking File then clicking Export. Follow the path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Internet settings.
- Once there, remove the values: Proxy Override, Migrate Proxy, Proxy Enable, and Proxy Server.
- Restart your device and check if the error persists.
4. Reset Your Google Chrome to Default Settings
If the error still isn’t fixed, reset Chrome to its default settings.
- Click on the Chrome menu bar (three vertical dots at the far-right corner in the browser window).
- Click on Settings.
- Then, click on Advanced Settings.
- Once inside, click on Reset and Clean-up.
- Click on Restore Settings to Their Original Defaults.
- Click on Reset Settings.
There Is Something Wrong With the Proxy Server, Now Fixed
Windows proxy errors are very commonplace internet issues. Now you know how to fix and rest your proxy server settings whenever this problem pops up. There are other fixes you can try when Windows cannot detect your proxy settings, like running the network adapter troubleshooter or updating your network drivers. These should solve the problem in a few minutes.
Seeing the “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” error on your PC? Here are the steps to fix it.
About The Author