For those who use your laptop computer or laptop in shared areas similar to cafes, libraries, and even workplaces, you must disable the pc’s USB ports. This may maintain your system secure from malware and cease your information from being stolen.
Earlier than you select and take a look at one of many listed strategies, be sure to’ve logged into an administrator account. In any other case, you’ll not be capable to make the required system modifications.
For every of the strategies, we’ll present you how one can re-enable the USB ports, so you possibly can nonetheless use them, when crucial.
Easy methods to Disable USB Ports With Machine Supervisor
For those who’re on the lookout for a simple answer to disable the USB ports to stop malware an infection, strive doing it with Machine Supervisor. In Home windows, Machine Supervisor is a good software for managing drivers, so there’s an opportunity you’ve used it earlier than.
- Open Machine Supervisor.
- Increase the Common Serial Bus Controllers checklist.
- Proper-click the USB port and choose Disable gadget.
For those who’re certain a USB doesn’t have any viruses or malware, undergo the above steps and choose Allow to attach it with none issues.
Easy methods to Disable USB Ports With the Registry Editor
For those who’re accustomed to enhancing the Home windows Registry, you possibly can simply use it to disable your laptop’s USB ports. Even for those who’re tech-savvy, you must create a restore level in case one thing goes improper.
- Within the Begin menu search bar, seek for registry editor and choose the Finest match.
- Within the left pane, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Companies > UBSSTOR.
- Open Begin.
- Set Worth information to 4 and click on OK.
If you wish to re-enable USB ports, undergo the above steps once more and set Worth information to 3.
Malware can benefit from the Home windows AutoRun function, so malicious packages can begin operating as quickly as you join the USB. To guard your laptop, you must disable the Autorun utility for exterior units.
In Registry Editor, head to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software program > Microsoft > Home windows > CurrentVersion > Insurance policies > Explorer. There, double-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, set Worth Information to 4, and click on OK.
Easy methods to Disable USB Ports with Group Coverage Editor
The Group Coverage Editor is a Home windows built-in software that means that you can personalize your laptop or community settings. On this case, you should use it to disable your laptop’s USB ports.
- Use the Win + R keyboard shortcut to deliver up a Run dialog.
- Kind gpedit.msc and press Enter. Home windows will now open the Native Group Coverage Editor.
- Utilizing the left-hand menu, navigate to Laptop Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Detachable Storage Entry.
- In the best a part of the window, find and open Detachable Disks: Deny execute entry.
- Choose Enabled and click on Apply > OK.
- Open Detachable Disks: Deny learn entry, choose the Enabled choice and save the brand new system settings.
If it’s good to allow the USB ports once more, undergo the above steps and choose Not Configured for each settings.
Easy methods to Disable USB Ports With the Command Immediate
Utilizing Command Immediate is a quick solution to disable or allow the USB ports, particularly for those who save the command traces in Sticky Notes or different options for fast entry.
To disable the USB ports, open Command Immediate with administrative rights. Then, kind reg add HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicescdrom /t REG_DWORD /v “Begin” /d 4 /f and press Enter.
If you wish to re-enable the USB ports, enter the reg add HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicescdrom /t REG_DWORD /v “Begin” /d 1 /f command line and press Enter to run it.
Keep away from Malware An infection on Home windows
The following pointers will provide help to disable the USB ports and maintain your laptop secure from malware. For those who’re extra involved about your information being stolen, you possibly can password defend your laptop, folders, or recordsdata.
Easy methods to Password Shield Any Folder or Software on Home windows 10
About The Creator